Windows 10 osd capture fails with "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"

I'm trying to build a thick image for SCCM OSD with Windows 10 Enterprise x64.
I have tried two images so far, one with Win10 LTSB and one with build 1511.
Both have ended with a Hyper-V VM that will not run after the capture (I used an ISO of the capture media from SCCM 2012 R2 1511).
I get this error after the "Getting Devices Ready" section:
"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware."
I found that if I run Sysprep (no SCCM capture) that it also fails.
I'm running OOBE and Generalize.

SOLUTION:  Don't connect to the domain while building the image and also be sure to delete all accounts and run as the local administrator.

Note: Our ERP system is complicated to install, so doing an automated build is not possible, so comments about me not using MDT or a Task Sequence do not apply.

Summary:
I have the following installed:
All the Windows 10 & Office 2016 updates up to 2/18/2016.
Office 2016 Pro
Adobe Acrobat DC Reader
My ERP system: Infor Visual Manufacturing
Firefox 44.0.1
Sophos Endpoint Protection
Accusoft Prism Plugin 10.3 from Boeing

My Plan is to create a snapshot and then Sysprep.  If it works, then revert and add another app and sysprep again.  Keep doing that until I hit the error.

Test 1: Installed Base Win10 Enterprise 1511 x64 on Hyper-V 2012 R2 with first round of updates. Enable local Administrator account.
Disconnect NIC on VM so that those stupid Modern apps don't update and block Sysprep.
See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769827
Login as Administrator and delete account that was created during install.
Reboot, login, run sysprep
Result: Pass

Test 2:  Install Office 2016 and all updates for Office 2016.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

Test 3:  Install Acrobat, Chrome, Firefox and Prism.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

Test 4 :  Install ERP.  Reboot, login, sysprep.
Result: Pass

It seems that joining my other builds to our Domain might be to blame.
I wonder if Group Policy is causing any of this?
I also made sure to delete all accounts except for Administrator because they started updating as soon as I logged in and then that was blocking sysprep.
During my tests I did the complete build without joining to the domain.
I decided I could install Sophos using SCCM after the image is on the hardware.
Sophos has a KB article on preping the image, but I think I'll stick with using SCCM to install Sophos Antivirus as part of the task sequence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add your Office 2016 KMS Keys to your Volume Activation Server

Solving WinRM Host connection errors in SCVMM - System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2

Adding Windows 10 to your Server 2012 R2 KMS Server