[SOLVED] Windows 10 Preview Build 9841 fails to upgrade to 9860

Today the first update to the Windows 10 preview came out.
When I tried to upgrade I got this error:
Failed to install the new preview build, please try again later. 0x80080005

My Windows 10 install is an upgraded Windows 8.1 PC that was updated from Window 8 RTM.  I have Visual Studio so I have many options turned on, like IIS. (Internet Information Server)
I installed the x64 Enterprise version from the ISO download.

This is the errors I got from the Event viewer after the upgrade failed 3 minutes into the upgrade:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date:          10/22/2014 7:33:04 PM
Event ID:      20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Failure,Installation
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Hammond-HP
Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80080005: fbl_release 9860 Enterprise.


These are some other errors that showed up around the same time:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-HttpEvent
Date:          10/22/2014 5:48:02 PM
Event ID:      15021
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Hammond-HP
Description:
An error occurred while using SSL configuration for endpoint [::1]:26143.  The error status code is contained within the returned data.


Since [::1] is an IPv6 address, I disabled IPv6 to see if that would help, but it still failed.
This didn't fix the problem alone, so  I don't know if this is required.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          10/22/2014 7:28:43 PM
Event ID:      10010
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          NETWORK SERVICE
Computer:      Hammond-HP
Description:
The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.


That CLID belongs to Microsoft WMI Provider Subsystem Secured Host

When I researched these 2 error I found references to IIS for both of them, so I decided to uninstall IIS to see if that helped.

After uninstalling IIS and a reboot, the upgrade worked!


Comments

Popular Posts