System Center 2012 Unified Installer Errors
Here are a few of the problems I ran into and how I fixed them.
- Follow the Directions for WinRM to letter. I tried set the policy in the domain group policy and the installer looks in the local policy, so I had to set it in both places. I also tried to limit the trusted hosts with
, *.mydomain.localinstead of just using * and it didn't like what I entered, so I just went back to * and it worked.
- Make sure you create a folder for every prerequisite and only download the files you need. For most of us that will be just the x64 files. Some files have the same name in both the x86 and x64 packages and you could end up expanding the x86 files over your x64 files and then the install will fail or hang.
- Expand all your prerequisites. When I downloaded all the prerequisites, I didn't expand them. It will not let you choose the folder where your prerequisites are stored until you do this. All of the SQL Server CU4 hotfixes will need to be expanded and the one that is 333mb will need to be expanded a second time. For the most part if you downloaded an ISO or EXE, you will need to expand it.
- Check your firewall on the installer PC. My installer PC had a Symantec Firewall that was hanging up my installation. I removed that firewall and turn the windows one off until I was done.
- Remote Desktop can crash your Unified installer. Every time I used remote desktop to check the install progress from home it would crash the installer. I found that I stay connected the whole time that it will be fine, but if I disconnect and then re-connect later it will kill the installer.
- If all else fails, try manually installing the prerequisites and look for problems. My SCCM 2012 install kept hanging up after the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2. When I would manually run the SP1 installer it would give me an error and then fixsqlregistrykey would crash. I had installed .NET 4.0 in advance and fixsqlregistrykey didn't like it for some reason, so removing .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended seem to fix that problem.
- Make sure your prereqs were not corrupted when they were copied to the server. While using remote desktop at some point it crashed the installer and it must have interrupted the transfer of the .NET Framework 4.0 exe to the server, because when I tried to run it manually, it failed to run. Manually copying the exe to the sever resolved that problem.
In 2002 I was a software tester at Microsoft and tested SMS 2003 Remote Control and Network Discovery while it was in beta. Microsoft had a policy against testing for "everything" because it's hard to come up with every scenario, but it would have been nice if they had worked on this installer a little harder. The UISetupWizard.log could have used a little more detail as well.