ISS and OWA Damaged on Exchange 2007 Server
Here is the Technet "Disaster Recovery Procedures" to help you fix a crash:
I was able to use the recovery tools to fix the databases, but OWA and IIS were toast.
You can recover your database with Eseutil /R (Recovery Mode).
See help here:
One of my first issues was to repair WMI. That worked fine, but then IIS was still damaged.
Here is a batch script that i found that fixes that:
net stop winmgmt
rd /S /Q
regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\scecli.dll
for /f %%s in (’dir /b
/s *.dll’) do regsvr32 /s %%s
for /f %%s in (’dir /b *.mof’) do mofcomp
for /f %%s in (’dir /b *.mfl’) do mofcomp %%s
net start winmgmt
Then I had to fix the transport database. See help here:
The next step was to remove and re-install IIS and then reinstall the CAS role and use the Exchange shell to re-install OWA and ActiveSync.
Technet help on that here:
None of this worked, and my OWA and ActiveSync are still down.
I'm using the Test-OwaConnectivity cmdlet to test the OWA that I have now:
It tells me this:
The test was unable to establish a connection to Outlook Web Access.
Not very helpful.
OAB (Address book) seems to work, so I don't think it's IIS.
I did find two technet MVPs that say that if you screw up IIS on Exchange 2007 that you may as well just format the box and start over. Great....
I'll post more as I go along.