An SMS Site Boundary Question on SMS 2003

From: Jack

Hi Ed, I was reading your instructions on SMS. Very good.
Anyway, I noticed you mention this: To set the boundary, we will need to find out what the SMS site name is first. Open up AD Sites and Services and see what your site is called. Mine is called "SMS-Lab-Site".
When I installed SMS, It does not appear that it created this. Is there a way I can manually create it or to make SMS create it? This may be part of my problem why it is not pushing out to the 98 machines.

Thanks, Jack

-----------------------------
Hi Jack,

The site is what you create when you first install active directory.
AD Sites and Services is found under administrative tools in the control panel if you have the active directory admin tools installed.
I don’t remember what the default site name is, something like Site1 or "Default-First-Site-Name" according to some MS sites.
If you have only one subnet, then you will have only one site name.
I have two subnets at my office. I named them after the cities where we have buildings. Auburn, and Ballard.
It’s misleading that I called mine “SMS-Lab-Site”, because it really has nothing to do with SMS.

As far as your 98 clients, push does not work on 98.
You will need to create a login script that checks to see if they are 98, and if they are, install the standard client.

Example:

if not .%OS%.==.Windows_NT. Start \\\SMSClient\i386\smsman.exe /Q

I didn’t test this, but it should work.

Ed
---------------------
To read more about my SMS 2003 tips, go here: http://www.looserubble.com/SMS

Comments

Popular Posts